Microwave ovens are a wonderful invention. Just pop in your food, set the timer, wait for the 'ding' and it is ready to eat. Gone are the days when the microwave was just used to warm a cup of milk for your morning cereal. If you are anything like me, you will more than likely use your microwave oven to cook just about anything and everything.
However, over time, the inside of the microwave will become splattered with all manner of food bits and if you don't wipe it out regularly, those splashes become baked on causing the inside walls to become a little gross looking.
To clean and remove smells from a microwave, all you need is -
- 1 Tablespoon of Clear White Vinegar
- 1 Microwaveable Cup or Bowl filled with Warm Water
Put the vinegar into the cup or bowl of water and then cook on high for two to three minutes or until it is boiling. Leave to stand in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Wipe the inside of the walls with paper kitchen towel or a clean soft cloth.
As an alternative, use several slices of lemon in place of the vinegar and add them to the water.
The steam and use of vinegar or lemon juice softens and loosens the build up in the microwave which can then just be wiped off.
Clear white vinegar contains acetic acid which is good for breaking down the deposits while lemons contain naturally occuring citric acid which is also an enviromentally harmless cleaning agent.