Removing Black Mold – Toxic Black Mold

Although there are numerous types of black mold, they can easily be categorized into two.The first category is classed as highly toxic while the other is non toxic. Black mold that falls into the non toxic, non cellulose category includes that found on the likes of aluminium sinks, ceramic tiles, various plastics and glass.

Toxic black mold, which some scientists link to respiratory problems, rashes, infections and maybe even brain damage, tends to grow on cellulose based materials such as cardboard, gypsum board, wood and other porous materials.

If you are intending trying you hand at removing black mold, for the safety of everybody in your home, make sure that you know what you are doing and what you are up against.

It should be pointed out that not all black marks on cellulose materials is the type that produces the deadly mycotoxin as a lot of the time, it may just be the harmless type of black mold.

Even though your case of black mold maybe of the non toxic variety, it is still important to take precautionary measures when dealing with it's removal.

Wearing a suitable face mask is of utmost importance since black mold spores enter our bodies through the mouth and nose. To create an immediate barrier between you and the spores, go for a highly efficient, filter type mask.

It is also a good idea, when cleaning black mold, to use an air purifier. Air purifiers can remove mold spores in the air, therefore lowering your chances of inhaling any spores, even if you are wearing a face mask.

Thirdly, spritz on the surface area with a good quality disinfectant. Black mold removal is hard to do on a dry surface so a disinfectant spray can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Scrubbing and cleaning the surface will be a lot easier if the area is moist. Disinfectant is very effective at killing bacteria and germs and may even go a long way to killing the black mold as well.

Black mold on non porous surfaces such as glass, tiles sinks, should be wiped off with heavy duty tissue paper or disposable rags which then should be put into the refuse sack. Once the sack has filled up, it should be tied or sealed and you should avoid carrying the bag through 'clean' areas of the house as there is a risk of spreading the mold.

The area that you have been working in should be thoroughly dried out and aired with a suitable air purifier to remove airborne contaminants and a dehumidifier to help in removing moisture.

You should ask family members or anybody else in the house to get out of the area during the mold cleanup process.

Page Updated: August 22, 2017
© 2016 Healthy Living Answers